海因斯位于朱诺北部 75 英里处，是内海航道风景最美的社区之一，也是内海航道不通陆路的社区与阿拉斯加高速公路的重要连结。
每年夏季都有数千名游客 ， 尤其是开拓者 ， 都会按照其自己的方式穿行海因斯 ， 抵达加拿大育空和阿拉斯加内陆。海因斯坐落于内海航道北部尽头处，是阿拉斯加海洋高速公路系统的重要港口，开拓者在这里离开渡轮，其他游客继续沿着阿拉斯加高速公路北向抵达海因斯。此区域陆路即可抵达加拿大和阿拉斯加高速公路的社区不多，海因斯就是其中之一，但是尽管如此，海因斯并不是邮轮之旅的终点，秉承着阿拉斯加小镇的魅力和风情。
海因斯及其姐妹社区斯卡圭一样，都是在克朗代克淘金热期间建立的，那时企业家杰克·道尔顿在已有的特林吉特贸易路线上投资，将其转变为收费公路，可抵达克朗代克金矿区。道尔顿小径短期之内便成为前往育空怀特霍斯北部矿区负载量最大的路线，因此美国军队于 1903 年入驻，建立了威廉 H. 苏厄德堡，这里是阿拉斯加第一个永久性的建筑。
海因斯不仅受人欢迎 ， 连动物也是如此 ， 每年晚秋时节 ， 数千只秃鹰就会聚集在奇尔卡特河 ， 捕食尚未游走的鲑鱼。此聚集现象现在已经形成了年度盛事，被称为阿拉斯加秃鹰节，除了观赏鸟类，还可以欣赏摄影作品、艺术展品和以保护为主题的讲座。但没有任何一项活动能够与秃鹰集结在河边树干上、从冰冷河水中捕食鲑鱼的壮观景象相比。
海因斯有很多适合户外活动的地方。如要获得关于景点、组团旅游和户外活动，请联系海因斯会展与旅游局。海因斯最著名的就是欣赏秃鹰。11 月末，会有超过 4,000 只秃鹰前来捕食奇尔卡特河中尚未游走的鲑鱼，夏季也常能看到秃鹰。
Alaska Bald Eagle Festival
The best time to see the eagles gather along the Chilkat River is during the Alaska Bald Eagle Festival
. The five-day event attracts hundreds of visitors from around the country to Haines in the second week of November for speakers and presentations at the Sheldon Museum and the American Bald Eagle Foundation Center. The main event is trooping out to the Chilkat River on 'expedition buses' with noted naturalists onboard and viewing eagles.
American Bald Eagle Foundation
The American Bald Eagle Foundation
is focused on the nearby Chilkat Bald Eagle Preserve and its museum features an impressive wildlife diorama, displaying more than 180 specimens and almost two-dozen eagles. Another highlight of the museum is the live video feed from a remote camera trained on an active eagle's nest. A new raptor center featuring eagles and raptors opened in 2010 designed to educate the public, rehabilitate injured birds and provide a home for those that cannot return to the wild.
The movie “White Fang” was filmed in Haines and eventually the set was relocated at the Southeast Alaska State Fairgrounds in Haines. False-front buildings and wooden sidewalks line the one-street town that is the home for gift shops and a small brewery.
In 1902, ongoing border disputes between the U.S. and Canada provided the justification for the first permanent army post in Alaska. The white buildings of Fort William H. Seward still stand and are a distinctive landmark of Haines. Decommissioned in 1947, the fort was bought by a group of war veterans with hopes of creating an arts and commerce community. The buildings are now privately owned homes, accommodations, restaurants, galleries, and shops.
Since the doors opened in 2002, visitors from all over the world have been enchanted by this unusual museum dedicated to hammers. Inside there are over 2000 hammers on display, from one that weighs less than a quarter of an ounce to another weighing more than 40 pounds. As a recent visitor blogged, “You could learn the history of the modern world through studying the hammers in this little gem of a museum.” You can't miss the Hammer Museum; there is a 20-foot high hammer outside. The museum is open from May through September.
houses a collection of indigenous artifacts upstairs with an interesting display of Chilkat blankets. Downstairs is devoted to Haines' pioneer and gold rush days and includes the sawed-off shotgun that Jack Dalton used to convince travelers to pay his toll.
Southeast Alaska State Fair
Haines' biggest festival is the Southeast Alaska State Fair
at the end of July. It includes four days of live music, parades, logging, volleyball, softball, horseshoe tournaments and livestock shows that draw participants from all Inside Passage communities.